Wednesday, February 22, 2012

6 week checkup!

I had my 6 week checkup with my surgeon this Monday!  It was originally a snow day but we ended up using it.  My appointments weren't until later in the day so we went prom dress shopping in the morning in Rochester.  Unfortunately I didn't find anything I liked, and most the dresses were much over our budget anyways.  I was surprised that I couldn't fit into a 00, which i usually my size, but a 1 was still much too big.  I haven't gained back all the weight I lost during surgery so the fact that I couldn't fit into a 00 dress was because my muscles are still healing from being moved around during surgery.  I asked the surgeon why the muscles in my thighs and stomach are still sore since having surgery and he said that's due to the moving around of muscles done during surgery also.

The first nurse that came in to ask me how I have been doing was shocked to know I don't even take tylenol everyday anymore.  She said if I had been a middle age patient undergoing the same surgery I would most likely still be on narcotics.  It just goes to show how much faster a younger body heals!  They said the x-rays look good too, but they won't have evidence of healing until 6 months after surgery.  They are going to send a CD with my x-rays on them and once they do I will put them on here and on my blog and facebook for anyone interested in seeing how much straighter my spine is!

I still use a pillow to sit at the desks at school and leave my classes 5 minutes early because I do still have some soreness and being bumped would be painful.  

Overall, I'm doing great and I don't have to go back to the doctor for 6 more weeks.  After 3 months they will move my weight carrying limit to 20 pounds which I am very excited for!  It's amazing what little you can carry that is under 10lbs!

I'm just as amazed at my fast recovery as everyone else and I'm very thankful for everyone that has helped me along the way! 

No comments:

Post a Comment