Monday, February 6, 2012

Back to School!

It's been a little over a month since my surgeries and I'm doing much better than I thought I'd be doing.  I've been in school since the 23rd and I've been going full days instead of half days like was originally planned because I only have 4 classes.  The hardest thing about being back in school is minding my ten pound carrying limit.  With textbooks and binders its very easy to go over, so I get to keep an extra set of books at home.  I also carry around a small pillow at school because otherwise the desks are way too uncomfortable. 

The hardest part of the day is by far night time.  I find it difficult to get into comfortable positions and stay asleep all night without waking up in pain.  I use a heating pad on my back some nights to help ease my muscles.  I'm hoping the sleeping issue will get better with time.

I've been off my Rx for almost 3 weeks now, and just taking tylenol.  The past few days I've been trying not to take any at all.  I do still have some pain but it's managable for the most part.  When it gets really bad I just lay down for a while then I'm usually fine.  I go back to the doctor on the 20th for x-rays and to meet with my surgeon.  As far as I can tell everything is going well but it's hard for me to know what's going on inside.  The bone will take about a full year to heal so I'm sure I'll have to go back for multiple check-ups just to make sure everything is healing correctly. 

I am very greatful that I did this surgery and I don't have one regret about it! I would recommend it to anyone with severe scoliosis that causes back pain! 

No comments:

Post a Comment