Friday, March 11, 2011

It's All Becoming Too Real

Today my mom called Mayo Clinic. Instead of getting x-rays here now, they want us to get x-rays there.  My appointment is set for May 27.  I'll get x-rays an hour before I meet with my surgeon.  Whoever my mom talked to on the phone also suggested we make a tentative surgery date just in case.  Then if surgery is the final decision we won't have to wait for a date the 4-6+ weeks that it might take.  Dr. MacIntosh is the doctor I've seen there the two times I've gone for yearly check-ups.  She's an amazing doctor and I have total faith in her whether I have surgery or not.  

Needless to say, whether I'm seeing the greatest doctor in America or the worst, I'm nervous.  With a date to talk about surgery set, it all seems so real.  I've never enjoyed going to the doctor.  I usually stay healthy and I don't play sports so there's usually no need for me to see the doctor very often at all. When I had my first appointment, she said my scoliosis would never get bad enough for surgery.  My growth plates indicated I was done growing, my thoracic curve was 30.6 and my lumbar 36.9.  Just in case, we would get x-rays October 2010.  We did, and although I only grew half an inch my lumbar curve increased by almost 10 degrees in just a year.  

Learning that I had scoliosis wasn't a big deal at the time, and now it could very possibly change my entire life.  As of right now, I'll just have to play the waiting game until May 27th.

No comments:

Post a Comment