Wednesday, March 9, 2011

A Pain in the Back

About a year and a half ago I was diagnosed with Scoliosis. It's not uncommon, especially in teenage girls. It can be easily cured with a back brace, and life goes on.  In my case it's not so simple. Unfortunately, I wasn't diagnosed early enough and I am done growing. As far as my last x-rays from September 2010, my highest degree is 45.  Any degrees between 40 and 50 usually call for surgery.  The big S word...I can't say I'm not scared. I'm scared out of my mind. Although there is no set date yet, I will be having surgery this coming summer (approximately 4.5 months).
September 2010 X-Rays

It's just so much to think about...Since I am a junior in high school this means I must start thinking about senior pictures now, I have to think about talking to my boss since I will not be able to maintain my part time job for about 3-6 months after surgery (due to lifting restraints), I automatically start thinking about pain....I've always had a small threshold for pain.  What is an emotional teenage girl to do?!  
September 2009 X-Rays

I think the worst might not even be the surgery.  My mom isn't sure if she'll stay with me the entire week I'm in the hospital.  My ex-boyfriend still promises me he'll be there, and I have plenty of friends who say they'll come and visit.  Thinking about surgery right now I'm not scared of being alone afterward.  I'm more freaked out by the thought of any complications during surgery. I try not to think about that though...

No comments:

Post a Comment